Just over a month ago, a shooting in Orlando that involved the killing of over 50 people at a "gay" bar brought out a call for Christians to rethink their view on whether the sin of Sodomy is still a sin.
For example, Joel Hunter, pastor of a mega church in Northland near Orlando, has gone to reconsidering his stand on whether Sodomy is still a sin.
At a prayer service soon after the shooting, Reverend Joel Hunter confessed he did not know how to pray for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community targeted in the attack. He said,"I have been searching my heart; is there anything I did that was complicit in the loss?”
So is the sin of Sodomy still a sin?
- SODOMY IS A SIN ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES
Sodomy might not be considered a sin according to our society, the culture, the President of the United States, the News channel, the latest movie star, or even the Contemporary church. But the truth is, none of those are our final authority. The Bible tells us plan and clearly that Sodomy is a sin.
2. THE SIN OF SODOMY IS UNNATURAL
"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet." Romans 1:26,27
The sin of Sodomy is not natural. Remember, in the garden of Eden it was "Adam and Eve" not "Adam and Steve". A woman with a woman is not natural. A man with a man is not natural. The Bible tells us that it is "against nature" and it is "vile".
3. THE SIN OF SODOMY IS "WORTHY OF DEATH"
"...they which commit such things are worthy of death..." Romans 1:32
Wow! That is a strong statement. The sin of Sodomy is a sin that is vile, unnatural and worthy of death.
(The book of Romans is a book that leads us down a very pointed path. Sin is wicked and vile and worthy of death. We are all sinners, the price for sin is hell but Jesus loves us and paid the price for our sin on the cross.)
SO... WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
- We, as Bible-believing Christians, should continue to stand firm on the Word of God. "Right" is still "right" and "wrong" is still "wrong"….. "evil" is still "evil" and "good" is still "good". Without a doubt, Sodomy is still a sin in the sight of God.
- We, as Bible-believing Christians, should remember that the only hope for a Sodomite is the love of God. Jesus loves the sinner and gives them hope for heaven through His precious blood. Without Christ, anyone, including the sinful Sodomite, will spend an eternity in Hell. We pray that they trust Christ as their Saviour and as Jesus said, "Go, and sin no more".
By Pastor Matt Nettesheim